How to Make Changes to or Renew Your Guard Card License Information or Get a Replacement Guard Card
When do You need to Update Your Guard Card Information?
You need to update your Guard Card address within 30 days of changing your address. The Guard Card address update form is available on the BSIS Website. A copy of the form with instructions is shown below.
When do You need to Renew Your Guard Card?
You need to renew your security guard license in CA every 2 years.
You should download, complete and submit the application along with the renewal fee between 3 and 6 months before your current Guard Card expires. The expiration date of your license can be found on your Guard Card.
Guard Card Renewal Fee
- If your Guard Card has not expired, the renewal fee is $35.
- If your Guard Card has not been expired for more than 60 days, the Guard Card renewal fee is $60.
- If your Guard Card has been expired for more than 60 days, you CAN’T renew your Guard Card. You must start the Guard Card application process over, including getting fingerprinted and background checked again.
The Guard Card Renewal form is available on the BSIS Website. A copy of the form with instructions is shown below.
How to Get Your Guard Card Replaced
Did you put your Guard Card through the laundry along with your security guard uniform? If so, or you lose or damage your Guard Card in some other way, you can get a replacement Guard Card from the BSIS for $10. Because you need to carry your Guard Card while on duty, you should get a replacement card immediately. The Guard Card replacement form is available on the BSIS Website. A copy of the form with instructions is shown below. Send in $10 as a check or money order, not as cash.
What should You Read Next?
- For the general steps to be a security guard, read How to Get a Guard Card.
- For how to get fingerprinted at a Live Scan location or how to fill out the Live Scan form, read How to Get Fingerprinted / Live Scan.
- For how to fill out the BSIS Guard Card Licnense form, read How to Complete and File BSIS Forms.
- For how to verify that your Guard Card hasn’t expired read How to Verify Your Guard Card is Valid.
- For more about the Guard Card training requirements, read Guard Card Training.