How to Complete the Live Scan Forms & Get Fingerprinted
You must go through a background check by the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the FBI in order to become a security guard. The DOJ and FBI need a set of your fingerprints to perform your background check. You get your fingerprints to the DOJ and FBI by using the Live Scan System. Using Live Scan, your fingerprints get electronically sent to the DOJ and FBI.
To use Live Scan to get your fingerprints for your Guard Card:
Step 1. Download a Live Scan Form
The California Security Guard Live Scan form is (BCII 8016). You can get this form by downloading it from the BSIS Website for an unarmed guard. If you want to get your firearm permit at the same time as your Guard Card use this form instead from the B.S.I.S. Website.
The form for an unarmed security guard application you get should be 3 pages, which are 3 copies of the same one page form as shown below. Following this image, we’ll guide you in filling out each part of this form for unarmed security guards. The form for armed security guards is the same, except the first part of the form is pre-filled in for you with different information.
Continue to Step 2 of the Fingerprinting process for getting a Guard Card.
Step 2. Complete the Live Scan Form
Before you go to get your fingerprints, fill out as much of the Live Scan form as you can. To fill out the form follow the steps below. Continue to Step 2a of the Fingerprinting process for getting a Guard Card.
Step 2a. Guard Card Live Scan Form Part 1
Part I of the form is already completed by the B.S.I.S. as this information is the same for all Guard Card applicants, so you don’t have to do anything with this part of the form. See example below.
Continue to Step 2b of the Fingerprinting process for getting a Guard Card.
Step 2b. Guard Card Live Scan Form Part 2
Part 2 of the Live Scan form is the part you complete with your personal information. Put the same information on all 3 copies of the form.
- Name of Applicant: Enter your Last, First and middle names. If you don’t have a middle name, leave that space blank above MI on the form.
- Alias: Enter any aliases you have as a names, such as a maiden name.
- Driver’s License No.: Enter your Driver’s License number, including the state.
- Date of Birth: Enter your date of birth. This should match your date of birth listed on your driver’s license.
- Sex: Put a check mark or X in the box next to your gender, Male or Female
- Misc. No. BIL: Leave this as N/A.
- Height: Enter your height in feet and inches, such as 5′ 11″. This should match your height listed on your driver’s license.
- Weight: Enter your weight in pounds, such as 185. This doesn’t have to match your weight listed on your driver’s license as it is easy for people to gain or lose weight.
- Misc No.: Leave this blank.
- Eye Color: Your eye color, such as blue, brown or green. This should match what the color of your eyes is on your driver’s license.
- Hair Color: Your natural hair color, such as black, brown, red or blonde. This should match what the color of your hair is on your driver’s license.
- Place of Birth: Enter the the city, state and zip code of where you were born. If born outside of the United States also include the country you were born in, so that the background check can verify where you were born.
- SOC: Enter your Social Security number.
- Home Address: Enter your home address.
Did you fill out all 3 copies? If yes, continue to Step 2c of the Fingerprinting process for getting a Guard Card.
Step 2c. Guard Card Live Scan Form Part 3
You don’t fill any of this part out. The person at the Live Scan location completes this part on all forms.
Continue to Step 2d of the Fingerprinting process for getting a Guard Card.
Step 2d. Live Scan Form Part 4
You don’t fill any of this part out either. If you’re currently employed by a company that has to check the background of all its employees, you should complete this part. In most cases, you don’t have to fill out this part of them. If you have to fill out this part of the form, most likely your employer who provide you this information.
Continue to Step 2e of the Fingerprinting process for getting a Guard Card.
Step 2e. Guard Card Live Scan Form Part 5
You don’t fill anything out on this part. The person at the Live Scan office completes this part on all forms.
Continue to Step 2f of the Fingerprinting process for getting a Guard Card.
Step 2f. Guard Card Live Scan Form Part 6
The last line of the form tells you where each of the 3 copies of the form should go once the forms are completed. You keep a copy, the Live Scan office keeps a copy and you send a copy to the B.S.I.S. once you have been fingerprinted. However, if you complete your Guard Card License application online, you don’t have to send a copy to the B.S.I.S.
Now that you have completed all 3 copies of the form with your information, go get fingerprinted. Continue to Step 3 of the Fingerprinting process for getting a Guard Card.
Step 3. Find a Live Scan Location near You
- You have to go to a physical Live Scan location to get your fingerprints. To find a list of Live Scan offices go to the B.S.I.S. website or contact the Bureau at (916) 322-4000.
- If the hours the Live Scan location aren’t listed on the BSIS Website, call the location for their open hours.
- If the hours the Live Scan location doesn’t list its Live Scan fee on the BSIS Website, call the location for their Live Scan Fee and ask what forms of payment they take (credit cards, cash, checks, etc.).
- Determine the total amount you need to pay the Live Scan site operator to process your fingerprints. The total amount will be:
Continue to Step 4 of the Fingerprinting process for getting a Guard Card.
Step 4. Go to the Live Scan Location You Found
- With all 3 copies of the filled in Live Scan form, go to the Live Scan office you found in the Step 3 above.
- Pay the Live Scan Operator the amount calculated in Step 3.
- The people at the Live Scan office will take your fingerprint, complete Part 5 on the 3 copies of the Live Scan form and electronically send your fingerprints to the DOJ and FBI.
- The Live Scan operator will keep 1 copy of the completed Live Scan form and give you the other 2 completed copies.
What should You Read Next?
- For more on the general steps to be a security guard, read How to Get a Guard Card.
- For how to fill out the BSIS Guard Card application online, read How to Complete the BSIS Form online.
- For how to verify that your Guard Card hasn’t expired read How to Verify Your Guard Card is Valid.
- For how to change some information on your Guard Card or renew your license, read How to Update, Replace Renew Your Guard Card.
- For more about the Guard training requirements, read Guard Card Training.